Four Threads

changing your name

How To Change Your Name After You Get Married

Wedding, MarriageVeronica Arrieta1 Comment
How to easily change your name after you get married.

This sounds terrible but I've been married for ~9 months now and just now changed my name (eeekk). I just haven't had the time to go wait hours upon hours at social security, then the DMV, then passport. I've been dreading the whole process until I found HitchSwitch, a full-service site that simplifies the name-changing process. 

HitchSwitch makes it so easy to change your name after you're married

HitchSwitch Makes It Easy To Change Your Name After You Get Married

HitchSwitch started when two law school classmates were blown away at how complicated it was for their new wives to change their last names (finally someone that understands the struggle is real!!).

For $29-$59, I filled out an easy online form then waited 3-5 business days for the pre-filled-out documents to arrive. They arrived with indicators on where to sign or add any personal information, along with the pre-paid and pre-labeled envelopes to mail out. Hello, if that's not easy then I don't know what is!

Honestly, this has already been such a dragged out process (hello 9 months later) that I just wanted to get it over with. Yes, I could have easily waited hours on hours and do this myself, but could be doing better things with that time.

If you'd rather change your name the hard way, see below: 

1. Get your marriage license. Before you can even think about changing your name, you need the original or certified marriage license with the raised seal and your new last name on it. If you didn't automatically receive it after you got married, then call the clerk's office where you got your marriage license and request copies. 

2. Change your Social Security card. Fill out the application for a new Social Security card. Your social will be the same number, just your name will change. Then you can either go down to the local Social Security Administration office or mail in your application. If you choose to mail your application, make sure to track your package because you don't need those important documents to go MIA. You'll need to show them your SS-5 form, original/certified copy of your marriage license and valid US passport (or driver's license and birth certificate). Your new card should arrive within 10 business days. 

3. Change your license at the DMV. Yes I know, we all dread a trip to the DMV but you need to get a new license with your new name . Make sure to bring every form of identification you have because you don't want to get to the front of the line and realize you forgot something. Bring your old license, your certified marriage license, your new Social Security card, your passport, and 2 proof of residency documents postmarked within the last 30 days (i.e. a utility bill, a credit card statement, pat stub, etc.) You will also be required to pay a fee for your new license. 

4. Change your passport. You'll need to fill out a DS-5504 form, have your old passport, certified marriage license (no photocopies or notarized copies), a color passport photo, and $110 made out to the "Department of State."

5. Change your bank accounts. The fastest way to change your name at a branch is to go into a local branch location. Make sure to bring your new drivers license and marriage license. You should request new checks, debit and credit cards. 

6. Other things to change. Now that your Social Security card and driver's license is out of the way, everything else should be relatively easy. Here is a list of places to notify about your name change: 

  • Employers/payroll
  • IRS
  • Post office
  • Electric and other utility companies
  • Credit card companies
  • Landlord or mortgage company
  • Insurance companies
  • Doctors' offices
  • Voter registration
  • Investment account providers

7. Ignore 2-5 and let HitchSwitch help. Go to and choose the best option for you. It costs between $29-59 but 110% worth it in my book. Their team is also super helpful if you have any legal questions.